The Impact of Brexit On The Logistics Industry

Home » News » The Impact of Brexit On The Logistics Industry

Brexit Flag

Fill in your details below to get more information from the team at Mac’s Truck Rental, whether you’re looking into contract hire or simply want to know more about one of our trucks.

The end of the transitional period of the Brexit process is just one month away. The logistics industry is continuing to operate with a large degree of uncertainty; however, it is clear that haulage firms will be operating with smaller profit margins, making post-Brexit operations more difficult to maintain. Logistics companies need to be aware of changes that affect three business areas; trading with the EU, moving goods in or out of the EU, and vehicle documentation.

New Business Guidelines

UK VAT registered businesses will need a customs registration number to continue to trade with European countries. The documentation your logistics company requires is called the Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI). Your company will need this to transport goods in and out of the UK and the EU, following the end of the Brexit transitional period. Driving regulations will also be affected, and next, we take a look at driving after Brexit and how this will affect your fleet of drivers and vehicles.


Driving In The EU

After Brexit, drivers of company cars and lorries will need to carry a copy of their contract of employment. If the car or lorry is to be driven for non-work purposes, the employment contract must state that this is authorised. In case of a no-deal scenario, trucks will need a certificate of compliance (ECMT) and a certificate of roadworthiness for trucks and trailers. The lorry needs a green card to show that it is insured, and a second green card is needed for the trailer, along with trailer registration plates and papers. Drivers should carry a valid UK driving licence and passport. The passport must have at least six months remaining and be no older than ten years from its date of issue. Your drivers may also require several international driving permits (IDP). The IDP 1968 covers all EU countries except for four. For Spain, Cyprus, and Malta, your drivers need an IDP 1949, and in Liechtenstein, an IDP 1926.